Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day12 – Through the Finger Lakes on US 20

The first place we passed of any note was the place we were going to stop for the night. We did not stop there, because it was so late, but we had called. The place is called The Brae Locke Inn. When I called to see if they had room, they did. We could get a king size bed with a fireplace for only $199. Since the temperature outside was hovering around 90, I did not think we needed the fireplace. Their only room cheaper was the double bed without the fireplace, but they did not have a laundry. When we drove by we found out why the price. It was a beautiful cabin resort type inn overlooking the lake. I did not regret the decision to not stay there..

We stopped in Auburn. It has a beautiful lake, Owasco, where we took a few pictures. Again, you will have to wait until I retrieve the camera to see them. Take my word for it, they are beautiful.

While we were walking out on a long pier to take a picture of the town, we were looking down into the water. It was very clear. Con asked if there were any fish in the Lake. I kidded with her and said of course not. Then she remarked, "then, what is that?" It had to be about 15 lbs, about 30" long and dark, not a catfish, some kind of preditor. I only wished I had my rod and reel right then. Of course, you can't fish from the pier, but it was huge.

We saw each Finger Lake from the end. When we got to Canadagua Lake, we went back to the place where we had eaten a couple of years ago. We found the place, but the other restaurants had failed and were closed up. It was actually sad. Kind of a statement of times gone by.

We did find a new little lunch restaurant and ice cream parlor. It was pretty cool and the prices reflected the obvious clientel that were not in our league. $25 for a salad and two cups of soup is a little steep.

OK, we did not do so well with the price of lunch, but you would be proud of Con for the room we got that night in Penn. The first place we stopped; it was a new Holiday Express, they wanted $150 for a single. And they had only one left. Next door, literally only 5 feet, there was a Super8. It was a little grimey. And there was a bar directly in front. Con asked to see a room. We have not seen a motel room from the 30's but I think this was built then. The room could not have been bigger than 8x8. The bathroom sink was at the end of the bed, so if I wanted to cool my feet in water while sleeping, it could be done. We did not stay.

At the next exit was a TravelLodge. It was going to cost us $99 for the night. So, I asked if they gave any discounts. When he asked what did we qualify for, I said, AAA and military. Suddenly, it only cost $55. Not bad.

If you have been following this blog, you know we can tell the great places to eat, by the number of cars in the parking lot. Since we didn't want to go anywhere we ate there. Let's see. We were the first in the restaurant, there was only a waitress who did the cooking and she didn't know we were there for the first 5 minutes. But, I ordered the Steak and Cheeze hoagie as I wanted it and loved the meal. Well, we lucked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment