Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 11 – Gotta make mid-NY

Off to VT and points beyond.

If you have never taken 101 out of Manchester and across NH, you need to experience it. Nice windy roads that climb into the Green Hills and White mountains. It was a great ride. At the top is Hogback Mountain Pass. Of course, there is a look-out. We stopped and I got at least one shot. The weather was very hazy and I doubt the scenery is very good. Actually, I left the camera on the bike, so you are not going to see anything for at least a week.

We took the back roads around Sarotoga Falls. This time I left MAPI in the map mode and just drove as I thought it would work. Now we were traveling on Route 20. Did I mention that US Rt 20 goes from west to east coasts. The road is nice, wide, yet only 2 lane.

We had traveled a number of miles. We are beyond the big cities, but the projected spot we were trying to make was still a long way off. It is hot, very hot. With a protective motorcycle coat on, it is actually very warm. Not to complain, but the rider behind me was starting to get a little cranky. So, we stopped to literally use the air conditioning in a convenience store/gas station. The destination was still a long way. We needed to get some miles under our wheels. So, I suggested the unthinkable; we take the NY turnpike.

You should have seen the look. But, it had understanding behind it. So, onto the freeway we went. It really wasn't too bad. No slowing down, so we were not so hot. The miles just started melting away.

One thing happened for which we don't usually prepare. As we passed some construction workers laying down another layer of asphalt, I felt my right eye burning. Trying to blink it clean, did not help. You can't just get out a hanky and wipe your eyes and I was getting blinder as we drove. Finally, I just could not see through the right eye and told Con, "I have to stop."

Not to scare you, but I was scared. Stopped on the breakdown lane on a freeway with big trucks passing you at 65 mph is not my greatest desire. After I wiped my eye with a Dunkin' Donuts napkin, everything was OK. The only thing I can think that happened, is that a drop of the tar actually made its way in the air stream past my windshield, under my face mask, behind my glasses and into my eye. Wow, unable to see on a motorcycle at turnpike speeds. THANK YOU LORD.

OK, we made it to Utica before grumpy started complaining about showers and laundry and eating and whatever. We pulled off and drove into a new Holiday Inn Express. The manager was nice. But he also wanted $135 for a single room. And he only had 10 left and they would be gone shortly. And he did not have any laundry facilities. That was the straw… We went across the street to Best Western.

Not new, but the rooms were only $55. She put us up near close by. And there was a laundry! Not bad, huh?

We ate big that night. Wendy's was next door.

Before the lights went out, we got a call. Not normally do we get a call while on a motorcycle trip. Alan called to ask if we were OK. Did we get wet? No, we stopped before any rain. When I saw the news, I realized why he called. Right after we got back from Wendy's, (early evening, around 5pm) it started to rain. The rain was associated with a huge front over all of NY that included numerous thunderstorms and hail and strong winds and lightning and… We had completely missed it. God got us off the bike at the perfect time. THANK YOU JESUS.

We slept well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment