Sunday, July 18, 2010

Before You Go, You Have to Pack

Arrrgghhh!
If you didn't know, we have been moving. Boxes everywhere. But Con is getting them put away one by one. In addition, there is the gardens. Weeds everywhere. Connie stepped into the tomatoes at Tipp and she disappeared. The height of the weeds exceeded her stature by gobs. I called the fire department and we called out the dogs. Within a few hours, they were able to locate her. She only needed bandaides for her small scrapes and bruises.
It had just rained, so weeding was possible. I thought about using a hoe, but the impact of the down thrust was minimized by the time the blade hit the dirt. Ergo, no roots. So, to our knees we dropped. Pulling no more that three weeds at a time, we were able to eradicate those pesky plants one handful after one handful. But, the two hours we devoted to pulling became two days and set out trip back another day.
OK. So now we are ready. First task was to tell Connie that she was limited to one bag. That wasn't too bad. My ears are ringing, my nose is bloody but otherwise I am in fine shape.
I have got to put all my fishing gear into one bag. Fortunately, I got a new wader bag and it can easily go in there. Woops, the new flyrod is exactly one half of an inch too long. That's ok. I am flexible. I will just bungy it to the bag. Ooops. Chief Holloway will want to go bass fishing. My rods for spin fishing fit in a 5 foot case. So, I thought Con could put it on her lap for the trip. That is how I got the black eye.
OK. I could buy a new rod that is smaller. A pack rod, maybe 6 peices. I was blessed by people's generosity, and I still had a gift certificate at Gander Mountain. Well, it didn't buy the whole rod, but... That is how I got the other eye blackened.
On the eve of the trip, I tried to dry fit the gear. Con's bag went in, but the Bible, purse and dopp kit had to be wedged into corners. The camera bag had to go, but if I lean in the camera a certain way, it will fit in the speaker storage hole. The batteries and charger can go in the electronic equipment bag. (The netbook has to come. All motels have WiFi now.)
I did not try my bag. I know how to pack. Unfortunately, the next morning during the packing phase, it was slightly bulky. I thought about asking Con to pull a couple of shirts, except I am out of eyes. So, I kicked and prodded. The door finally shut. Yaaahhhh.
We are packed. I wonder if I forgot the underwear....

1 comment:

  1. gary, your writing is showing me a side of you I haven't seen... very fun to read :)

    thanks so much for sharing your trip with us... take pics of each other too and the g-kids will love looking at them!!!

    have a wonderfully amazing trip... congrats again on your retirement.

    ReplyDelete