Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day9 – Freeport first then back to Manchester




Well, we had to leave Topsham. But, a visit to Freeport and LL Beans should be productive. When we came on Saturday, the place was smashed. Toooooooo many people for me. Monday morning, before the campers are up, I figured that the gad-zillions of people that are normally there will still be in the tent. Monday morning there were only 3 million there. I know, I counted them all.

We lived in Freeport for a year. We lived there when it was a little town with groceries, pharmacies, general stores, hardware stores, etc. Now, it looks like an outside mall. And our short walk around confirmed that they have been busy adding new buildings with more mall outlets. We finally found the outlet for Beans. I was hoping to pick up a new, but used rod. Con wanted a new pair of jeans. No such luck. Nothing there for either of us.

Before we got on the bike, a lady approached us to ask us for advice. I said that we probably not the best source for information. It seemed she wanted to know what helmet we would advise. I was able to let her know about our Shoei and suggested that an Aria was also a great helmet. In the middle of Freeport….

The trip to Manchester was short and to the point. We were trying to make time, but we didn't want to go the same way. Instead we took a couple of back roads north of Portsmouth. That led us to South Berwick, where we got a lunch at the Johnson's restaurant. Meal was good, but I wasn't expecting French fried shrimp in my shrimp roll. I thought it would be like a mayonnaise dressing on the shrimp. Their cole slaw had a definite garlic flavor. I was a little taken back by that also.

We were hoping to have supper with the Beaulieau's and Phaup's. But when we arrived, Dawn had an emergency, and Alan would not be in until after 9. So, we gave the Phaup's a call. They were overjoyed to see us and immediately asked us over to their house.

We took off for the Phaup's and enjoyed every minute with them. Con stayed back with Bonnie while Dick and I went south to pick up Audry, their daughter. Then we met back at the house. The travel time with Dick was great. He is an avid fly fisherman and we swapped stories for the entire trip. When we got back to the house, Dawn had come over also and stayed for dinner. It could not have been a better evening.

Tomorrow, we leave for Ohio. Actually, we decided to not travel to Maryland. I just didn't like the idea of traveling on the freeways, through big cities from Boston to Washington D.C. It just didn't make me want to go. So, we have decided to go home first.

No comments:

Post a Comment