Monday, July 26, 2010

Day7 – We love Me.







If you have ever visited or lived in the state of Maine, you know that they make fun of the state's abbreviation, ME. So you will see signs like Fish ME, Camp ME, Travel ME, Visit ME. Ergo, we love Me.



We lived in Maine for 4 years while I was stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station. I accepted the Lord as my savior during my first deployment. Master Chief Bill Holloway was my division chief and led me to the Lord. We became good friends and spent many days at their house in Topsham.



We left in very low cloudy weather. But the traffic was not really busy, at least in the beginning. As we approached the ocean, the weather started breaking and apparently, the traffic started increasing. I decided to take the toll road north, just to get north of Portsmouth and into Maine. Saturday morning is not the time to travel north. Apparently, everyone in Boston and Connecticut travel to Maine for the weekend. They were all on the freeway.



As we approached Portsmouth, the traffic was at a standstill. Well, if I am going to travel 5 mph, I am going to try Route 1. Actually, it was pretty easy. A number of stops, a couple of turn-arounds, but at least it was cool. The bridge across the river was cool. It was old, but sturdy. Off to the west, you could see the big bridge, with stop and go traffic stopping and going. I was happy.



The trip through Wells, York, Ogonquit, Falmouth and Yarmouth travel was slow, but fun. The number of names with a maritime theme, Captain's Quarters, Bos'n Rooms, Sailor's Cove. It was interesting. Of course, we did not gain time, but it was worth it. As we approached Portland, I decided to get back on the freeway. Bill and Jenny Holloway were expecting us early afternoon. We wanted to visit LL Beans in Freeport before we arrived.






When we got to Freeport, we went to our old house. If you didn't know, we lived for a year in Freeport. So, we got a picture and then went downtown.



Those of us that are older and still have our memory, Freeport has changed. Freeport is a "Mall" city. If they put a roof over the town, you would think you had stopped at the local mall. And the mall was Christmas full. People everywhere. Not today, not now.



It was good to pull into Brunswick and then to Topsham. Bill and Jenny are very gracious. It was good to see them. Their son, Paul, was there for a reunion. I had to ask Paul how old he was. In his 40's. The reason why I asked was because the last time I saw Paul, he was only belly-button tall. I feel old.



If you are reading this, say a prayer for Bill and Jenny. They are well into their 80's and feeling their age. Bill actually has a pace maker and a defibulator implanted in his chest. So, if the pace maker doesn't get his heart back on rhythm, he gets a shock treatment. He said it has gone off about three times since he had it implanted. Wow.



Their house is a menagerie of antiques and dolls. It is almost exactly like it was 30 years ago. It has 3 stories and there are things stored in every nook and cranny in the place. I know, I had to find the molasses.



Night came shortly. The evening was cool and refreshing. The bed was covered with teddy bears, but after they moved over, we had a great sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment